Reefer Truck Insurance program covers refrigerated trucks which haul fruits, vegetables, dairy products, seafood, and other perishable foods on a consistent basis. One of the chief considerations of a comprehensive reefer truck insurance policy is full coverage of refrigerated cargo as this is one of the few classifications of cargo which can potentially spoil during transportation. Companies specializing in the transport of refrigerated goods often use trucks with refrigerated trailers which may need specialty insurance of their own.
Insurance policies for refrigerated goods transport often contain significant gaps in coverage, such as a total exclusion or sublimit for “high-risk” commodities (seafood, for example). A comprehensive reefer truck insurance policy should account for all classifications of cargo being transported on a regular basis and will contain the following cargo and physical damage coverages:
- Reefer Breakdown – provides coverage for cargo loss caused by the mechanical or electrical breakdown or malfunction of a temperature control system.
- Loading & Unloading – provides coverage for the commodity while it is being loaded or unloaded.
- Debris Removal – provides coverage for reasonable and necessary costs to remove debris caused by and resulting from a covered loss.
- Broadened Pollution – provides coverage for the discharge of pollutants which are in, upon, owned, being transported by, loaded or unloaded from a covered auto.
- Earned Freight – replaces income lost when a load cannot be delivered due to a covered cargo loss.
- Sue and Labor – covers costs related to preventing further loss to damaged cargo. Also known as loss mitigation.
- Collision and Comprehensive – to protect your tractor, trailer and the refrigerated unit for collision, fire, theft, vandalism and other causes of loss
- Towing and Storage – provides coverage for expenses related to towing and storage of a damaged equipment
- Combined Deductibles – this coverage allows you to pay only one deductible in the event a loss occurs involving both physical damage and cargo.